Sunday, October 16, 2005

Long days journey into hougang

Brrr...it has been such a chilly and damp day today! On my way to Grace's house today, we got totally soaked even though I was armed with my trusty green umbrella! haha it just couldn't withstand the forces of nature. Plus it didn't help that I was wearing my thin, semi translucent three quarters, which became transparent after a huge truck sped past and sent tsunami like waves on us!! For some unknown reason, grace started laughing hysterically haha perhaps it was kind of funny experiencing it yourself, after laughing at people on the road who look so helpless being splashed hahaha thinking about the scene makes me laugh =D

After which I proceeded to hougang mall for project meeting, and it was still pouring! Thus efforts of drying myself at grace's house went to waste, and I was again spotted wearing an obsene pair of three quarters.

William had to watch a play for an assignment and he bought tickets for this play called TKK -- enlightened by mj, it means dang ku ku, deng4 jiu2 jiu3 wahaha so amused by that name!

Hougang has changed so much more from what I remembered as to how much it changed haha the significant canal (although william will argue with me that he has never thought it of it as significant) near my old house has been replaced by a condominium called Florida! Actually I knew that quite long ago. But I couldn't come to terms with seeing that once desert like land and i must stress on, the canal, which were such huge structures being replaced by something so mordern and cultivateable! I thought that land was destined to be barren haha k I sound a bit too emotional about a stupid plot of land, but I do feel something for it! I faced it every day when I sat at the bus stop waiting for my primary school bus to come pick me up haha

William commented that my sense of place was too fixed when I exclaimed to him that all the new roads and buildings made me lost and dizzy! He think geography lesson ar... haha cause we learnt sense of place in geog. So i said that my geographical imagination of that place was formed so long ago thus resulting in my limited sense of place haha

I can remember places very well, the whole scenery of a place can be etched in my mind for a really long time. Besides, each place produces a different sense of place and evokes a different set of feelings. Like I attach my pre school and lower primary days to my house at jalan kayu, the bulk of my primary school days to my house at hougang and my secondary school days to my house at toa payoh.
I think I'm mad, but somehow I attach a lot of feelings to places. I can even dream of going back to them. But visiting these places only presents an empty shell as the memories brought back will only remain as memories and never to be relived again. Like I can walk back the same route and same path to my old house, but the family now will never fit in to that same house.

"I have learnt that we must hold everything loosely, because when I grip it tightly, it hurts when the Father pries my fingers loose and takes it from me."
-- Corrie ten Bloom

No comments: